Saturday, August 30, 2014

My Travel Wardrobe


That's just a sampling of the outfit combinations I've been able to make with the clothes I'm bringing next year. One of the first questions people ask when they hear about my fellowship is, "How do you pack for something like that?"

The short answer? With lots and lots of planning.

The long answer is just that, too long to fit in one post. Instead, I will feature some advice I have about starting a process like this and show you my packing list. I'll do some posts featuring particular pieces in my wardrobe that are particularly helpful later. I will also explain later how to actually fit everything in one suitcase. Stay on the lookout for those posts!

My Top 5 Packing Tips

  1. Make sure to check on weather and culture before packing, otherwise you will waste space.
  2. Pick a just one color scheme so that most of your pieces match each other.
  3. Find clothes that won't wrinkle easily, that way you can pack them tightly in your luggage.
  4. Convertible dresses and skirts are magical - more on these in later posts.
  5. Scarves and other lightweight accessories can transform and outfit more than you think.


My Travel Wardrobe

In my opinion, everything you see below is still more than I actually need. I like variety, though, so for my sanity I decided to pack a few extra pieces so I don't get completely fed up with my clothes. A post about how I fit all of this into one carry on is coming soon!

Bottoms:
2 pairs of shorts
2 pairs of capris
1 pair of leggings
1 pair of jeans
1 skirt
2 dresses

Tops:
6 sleeveless tops
4 short sleeve tops
2 three-quarter length shirts
3 long sleeve tops

Outerwear:
1 chambray shirt
1 sweater
1 blazer
1 rain jacket
1 fleece

Underwear:
4 bras
5 pairs of socks
9 pairs of underwear

Accessories:
3 headbands
2 scarves
1 hat
1 belt

Shoes:
1 pair of tennis shoes
1 pair of sandals
1 pair of flats

 

 

 


So what do you think? Anything you can't live without that isn't pictured here? Look out for more posts about my packing strategy!

 

No comments: